MHG619 - Farmstead, Badleathan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
Badleathan: The ruins of a small farmstead. Name Book 1877
This is centred around two long rectangular structures set at right angles to each other, one of which has a kiln.
That aligned WSW-ENE measures 26m long by 5.8m at the E end and 5.5m at the W end, including the width of the walls which are 0.9m thick, (where both wall faces are evident). E half of N wall still stands to a height of 1.1m, but the remainder of the walls vary in height between 0.55m and 0.35m. The only obvious entrance is centred in E gable and is almost 2m wide. An internal division exists 16.5m from E gable, with a doorway into W room 0.8m wide at its S end.
Attached to N side of this structure is an enclosure defined by a grass-covered wall spread to 1.1m and c0.3m high. It defines an area 13.9m by 14.5m maximum and has an entrance 1.5m wide in its SW corner.
A further enclosure is attached to the E side of this, extending c25m N of the structure, but is poorly defined. It may be associated with the slight remains of a grass-covered rectangular structure measuring a maximum of 4.4m by 3.7m.
A small sub-square structure is situated 1.25m S of the W part of the long rectangular structure. It measures 4.5m WSW-ENE in length and 3.5m wide. Including the width of walls which are 0.6m wide. At E end walls stand to 0.7m, but at W end are only 0.2m high. The entrance is in N wall, by NW corner, and is 0.7m wide.
The second long rectangular structure is aligned NNW-SSE. Its NE corner is situated 2.5m W of the SW corner of the other long building. The overall dimensions are 20.5m by 5.5m, with its mainly grass-covered walls spread between 0.7m and 1.25m and standing between 0.1m and 0.75m. Internal divisions form three rooms, which measure from N to S, 2.5m wide, 3.5m and 8.9m wide between wall centres. At the S end there is a kiln which appears to have been subsequently attached to the structure as it is slightly offset from the centre of the gable. It is also grass-covered, is 5m in diameter, stands at least 1m high, has a hollow in its top, and has its flue due S.
An enclosure extends to the W, defined by a grass-covered low wall, at most 0.4m high and spread to c1m. It defines an area 90m W-E and 22m N-S. Across the SW corner of this enclosure is an area of abandoned peat cuttings.
A farmstead comprising three unroofed buildings, two of which are long buildings, and an enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xxviii). Two unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1975).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 24 November 1995
- --- SHG1139 Text/Publication/Article: Harden and Harvey, J and D. 1990. 'Munsary (Watten parish), survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1990, p.22. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 22. 22.
- --- SHG3342 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 12, 181.
|Centred ND 2068 4564 (100m by 100m) (2 map features)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/69561 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.