MHG62112 - Clearance cairn - Urchany (Allt na Criche)
Probable clearance cairn, Urchany (Allt na Criche)
Type and Period (1)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Depop., cairns, etc.
OS 6"map annotated by A L F Rivet (nd)
The field system, partly overlaid by a depopulated steading, is marked by stone clearance heaps, lynchets and walls forming fields varying in size from about 15 m by 10 m to about 50 m by 30 m.
Divorced survey at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (R L) 17 March 1970
(Name: NH 4555 4550) Settlement & Field System (NR)
OS 1/10,000map, (1975)
This unenclosed settlement comprises the remains of four oval stone-walled houses and two scarped platforms which may represent the sites of timber houses. In the vicinity there are several other platforms of unknown function and also extensive remains of stone clearance, some of which may be of relatively recent date.
RCAHMS 1979 <1>
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook an archaeological survey of Urchany in 2015. A number of probable clearance cairns were recorded, many of which are amorphous unstructured mounds of stones on the edge of what was previously ploughed southfacing land. These were classified as clearance cairns.
Site C76; Cairn of stones with kerb. There are cairns everywhere in this area and at least 5 more. 3x2m. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2015 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 20, No. 130.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2020. A NoSAS Survey of the Lands of Urchany: A Multi-period Settlement on the Braes West of Beauly: 6th-10th April 2015. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.31,33. Site C76, Figures 71,72. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2015. Getmapping aerial photography 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4546 4549 (4m by 4m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12356 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.