MHG62123 - Burial cairn - Urchany (Coulnabottach)
Possible burial cairn, Urchany (Coulnabottach)
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN? (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Depop., cairns, etc.
OS 6"map annotated by A L F Rivet (nd)
The field system, partly overlaid by a depopulated steading, is marked by stone clearance heaps, lynchets and walls forming fields varying in size from about 15 m by 10 m to about 50 m by 30 m.
Divorced survey at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (R L) 17 March 1970
(Name: NH 4555 4550) Settlement & Field System (NR)
OS 1/10,000map, (1975)
This unenclosed settlement comprises the remains of four oval stone-walled houses and two scarped platforms which may represent the sites of timber houses. In the vicinity there are several other platforms of unknown function and also extensive remains of stone clearance, some of which may be of relatively recent date.
RCAHMS 1979 <1>
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook an archaeological survey of Urchany in 2015. A number of probable burial cairns/cists were recorded. Leading NE from the main Urchany track, just before it bends tightly to ascend to Coulnabottach, is a shallow valley leading between hilly bluffs to the high peaty plateau above Urchany. There are a number of cairns grouped together as the valley levels off. Some of these look like clearance cairns, some are more shaped and aligned and could be burial cairns.
Site C26; Possible Burial Cairn. This cairn is 20m north of presumed burial cairn, C15 (see MHG62122). It consists of an overgrown mound of stones, with surrounding kerb. It is 4m NS x 3m EW, standing up to 0.6m high. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2015 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 20, No. 130.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2020. A NoSAS Survey of the Lands of Urchany: A Multi-period Settlement on the Braes West of Beauly: 6th-10th April 2015. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.34,37 Site C26, figure 81. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2015. Getmapping aerial photography 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4523 4583 (5m by 5m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12356 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.