MHG62125 - Burial cairn - Urchany (Allt na Criche)
Possible robbed burial cairn, Urchany (Allt na Criche)
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN? (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Depop., cairns, etc.
OS 6"map annotated by A L F Rivet (nd)
The field system, partly overlaid by a depopulated steading, is marked by stone clearance heaps, lynchets and walls forming fields varying in size from about 15 m by 10 m to about 50 m by 30 m.
Divorced survey at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (R L) 17 March 1970
(Name: NH 4555 4550) Settlement & Field System (NR)
OS 1/10,000map, (1975)
This unenclosed settlement comprises the remains of four oval stone-walled houses and two scarped platforms which may represent the sites of timber houses. In the vicinity there are several other platforms of unknown function and also extensive remains of stone clearance, some of which may be of relatively recent date.
RCAHMS 1979 <1>
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook an archaeological survey of Urchany in 2015. A number of probable burial cairns/cists were recorded.
Site C28; Possible Burial Cairn. Revealed by a further muir burning, subsequent to the 2015 survey, this mound of stones, 4m NS x 2m
EW, became more prominent, just north of the main Urchany track. There is a rough, stony, 0.3m deep depression in the centre. This probably represents removal of stones, ie robbing, at some stage in the past, suggesting this is a robbed burial cairn. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2015 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 20, No. 130.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2020. A NoSAS Survey of the Lands of Urchany: A Multi-period Settlement on the Braes West of Beauly: 6th-10th April 2015. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.34,38 Site C28, figures 81,94. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2015. Getmapping aerial photography 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4554 4558 (5m by 5m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12356 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.