MHG62133 - Recessed platform with revetment wall - Urchany (Allt na Criche)
Recessed platform, a possible enclosure or hut circle, Urchany (Allt na Criche)
Type and Period (2)
- PLATFORM (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC? to 560 AD?)
- REVETMENT (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
Depop., cairns, etc.
OS 6"map annotated by A L F Rivet (nd)
The field system, partly overlaid by a depopulated steading, is marked by stone clearance heaps, lynchets and walls forming fields varying in size from about 15 m by 10 m to about 50 m by 30 m.
Divorced survey at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (R L) 17 March 1970
(Name: NH 4555 4550) Settlement & Field System (NR)
OS 1/10,000map, (1975)
This unenclosed settlement comprises the remains of four oval stone-walled houses and two scarped platforms which may represent the sites of timber houses. In the vicinity there are several other platforms of unknown function and also extensive remains of stone clearance, some of which may be of relatively recent date.
RCAHMS 1979 <1>
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook an archaeological survey of Urchany in 2015.
Site V54; Recessed platform. On the gentle SW slope of a small hillock, a recessed platform has been created into the slope. The lower SW edge of this 15m diameter platform is retained by a massive revetment wall, 1.5m high, and 1.5m thick. There is an entrance in the SE, although no other obvious distinguishing features within the platform area. The function of this platform is uncertain. It could have been an enclosure or, as there are many other hut circles nearby, it could have supported a now vanished hut circle. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2015 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 20, No. 130.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2020. A NoSAS Survey of the Lands of Urchany: A Multi-period Settlement on the Braes West of Beauly: 6th-10th April 2015. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.42 Site V54, figures 111-113. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2015. Getmapping aerial photography 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4534 4551 (16m by 16m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12356 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.