MHG62164 - Late Victorian hydro scheme - Orrin Falls, Urray

Summary

The remains of a late Victorian hydro scheme at Orrin Falls, Urray.

Type and Period (1)

  • HYDROELECTRIC POWER STATION (19th Century to 20th Century - 1898 AD? to 1961 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The remains of a late Victorian hydro scheme at Orrin Falls, Urray.

A topographic survey of the hydro scheme at Orrin Falls was carried out in April 2015 by M Marshall of NoSAS. The site is located on the south bank of the river and utilises the waterfall within the gorge; total height drop of roughly 15m. The first record of a hydro-scheme at this location is in 1898 when: “John Stirling used estate workmen to build a turbine house at the Orrin Falls …… and electric light was installed (in Fairburn House) in 1898. The scheme seems to have gone through several phases before being abandoned circa 1961 probably following the building of the Orrin Dam, as part of the Conon Valley Hydro scheme, in the higher reaches of the glen. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 4687 5169 (100m by 38m)
Map sheet NH45SE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish URRAY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.