MHG62175 - Building - Claiginn, Urchany
Ruined building, Claiginn, Urchany
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A township comprising nine unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876-81, sheet ix). Three unroofed buildings, an enclosure and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 14 May 1996
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook an archaeological survey of Urchany in 2015.
Site B153; Stone and turf building. Twelve metres to the SW of B152 (see MHG62174), lying across a slight gully from it, are the low-lying remains of a large rectangular building. Orientated SW-NE, with moss and grass-covered stone walls up to 0.4m high, its external dimensions are 9m x 4m, with a 1m entrance on the SE facing wall. The constituent stones are best seen on the SW wall. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> SHG28596 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2020. A NoSAS Survey of the Lands of Urchany: A Multi-period Settlement on the Braes West of Beauly: 6th-10th April 2015. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.67,77 Site B153, figures 196,197,221-223,231,232. XY
- <2> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
- <3> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4414 4546 (16m by 18m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109992 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.