MHG62182 - Enclosure - Claiginn, Urchany
Enclosure, a possible burying ground, Claiginn, Urchany
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BURIAL GROUND? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A township comprising nine unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876-81, sheet ix). Three unroofed buildings, an enclosure and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 14 May 1996
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook an archaeological survey of Urchany in 2015.
Claiginn Township. Just to the SE of the bowl barrow (see MHG56050) lies a cluster of buildings.
Site V166; Enclosure, possible burying ground. An estate map of 1797-1800 shows a burying ground and an enclosure near the houses in this area, on the flat surface of a small hillock, see Fig 245. The enclosure is 60 m east of the bowl barrow (see MHG56050), and 10m north of buildings B162-3, which now do not lie in the directions as shown on the estate map. The enclosure is roughly square, constructed of stone to 1.2m high. There is no constructed entrance. However, in the west corner the stone walls have tumbled to provide a de facto entrance. It is not clear if there was a constructed entrance here originally. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> SHG28596 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2020. A NoSAS Survey of the Lands of Urchany: A Multi-period Settlement on the Braes West of Beauly: 6th-10th April 2015. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.67,79-81 Site V166, figures 196,197,240,245-248. XY
- <2> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
- <3> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4430 4552 (27m by 25m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109992 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.