MHG62187 - Buildings - Claiginn, Urchany
Ruined buildings, possible byre/outbuildings, Claiginn, Urchany
Type and Period (3)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BYRE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- OUTBUILDING? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A township comprising nine unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876-81, sheet ix). Three unroofed buildings, an enclosure and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 14 May 1996
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook an archaeological survey of Urchany in 2015.
Claiginn Township. Four buildings are clustered at the northern base of the ridge, below the bowl barrow (see MHG56050), in an area that is now wet with predominant reeds and rank heather.
Site B167/8; Stone and turf buildings. These are two adjoined buildings (see Fig 258, p84) aligned WNW-ESE at the northern base of the small hillock on which the bowl barrow sits. The most southerly of this cluster of buildings, they are aligned at 90 degrees to the others. The northern structure, B167, is constructed of two to three courses of rough stones, with the wall tops covered in moss. The walls are 11m x 5m, with an entrance in the middle of the NE wall. There is considerable tumble within the east corner of the building. The adjoining building, again 11m x 5m, is orientated similarly and shares its NE wall with B167. The NW and SW walls are curved and constructed of a single skin of large stones. This structure is open at the east, ie there is no wall there. In view of the alignment, the entrance to B167 from the north, and the open structure of B168, these buildings probably represent byres or outbuildings. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> SHG28596 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2020. A NoSAS Survey of the Lands of Urchany: A Multi-period Settlement on the Braes West of Beauly: 6th-10th April 2015. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.67,84,87 Sites B167/8, figures 196,197,242,265-7. XY
- <2> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
- <3> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4422 4554 (16m by 13m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109992 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.