MHG62193 - Kiln barn, with corn-drying kiln - Claiginn, Urchany
Ruined kiln barn, with corn-drying kiln and threshing barn, Claiginn, Urchany
Type and Period (3)
- KILN BARN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CORN DRYING KILN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- THRESHING BARN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A township comprising nine unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876-81, sheet ix). Three unroofed buildings, an enclosure and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 14 May 1996
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook an archaeological survey of Urchany in 2015.
Site B160; Kiln Barn, with Corn-Drying Kiln. At the base of the south facing slope of the small hillock on whose summit the bowl barrow lies (see MHG56050), are the remains of a kiln. The bowl of the 5m diameter kiln, partially cut into the slope of the hill, is delimited with several courses of massive stones in the west and SW aspects. The east & SE margins are now constituted by a smooth grassy curved bank. The base of the bowl is grass-covered, steeper in the south than the north. South of the bowl is a platform with a distinct edge of stones at its southern edge, 5.9m wide. Several of the larger constituent stones, together with much tumble, now lie downhill from this edge. Covering most of the southern part of the platform is a rough jumble of smaller stones. The kiln is likely to be a corn-drying kiln, with the platform representing the remains of an associated threshing barn. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2020. A NoSAS Survey of the Lands of Urchany: A Multi-period Settlement on the Braes West of Beauly: 6th-10th April 2015. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.67,68,92,93 Site B160, figures 196,197,284-290. XY
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4421 4543 (8m by 11m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109992 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.