MHG62210 - Enclosure - Chisholm Land, Breakachy Burn, Urchany
Ruined enclosure, Chisholm Land, Breakachy Burn, Urchany
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A farmstead comprising two unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876-81, sheet ix) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1971) where what may be a head-dyke is also shown.
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 14 May 1996
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook an archaeological survey of Urchany in 2015. On a prominent platform, with reeds and marshy ground to the south and improved grazing to the north, lies these structures. There is an animal enclosure to the NE and a building, maybe a threshing barn with associated kiln, to the SW. Around these structures are a variety of dykes and ditches. All the structures are covered with rampant bracken in the summer, and even in winter it is hard to identify all the building walls and dykes.
Site B206; Enclosure. This sub-rectangular enclosure, is orientated SW-NE, with 1.5m entrance in the middle of the SE wall. The walls, with external dimensions 13m x 11m, stand between 0.5 to 1.0m high, maximal in the NE. Leading steeply up to the entrance, and just offset from it, is a sunken trackway with stone margins. The interior of the enclosure is covered with vegetation and rubble, so it is hard to determine if there is any internal division or structure.
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2020. A NoSAS Survey of the Lands of Urchany: A Multi-period Settlement on the Braes West of Beauly: 6th-10th April 2015. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.99,107,108 Site B206, figures 308, 332-335. XY
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4432 4445 (18m by 16m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109990 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.