MHG62267 - Walled garden - Nutwood, Strathpeffer

Summary

A former walled garden at Nutwood, Strathpeffer.

Type and Period (1)

  • WALLED GARDEN (18th Century to 19th Century - 1800 AD? to 1870 AD? (at some time))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A former walled garden at Nutwood, Strathpeffer.

The walled garden is shown on the OS 1st edition 25" map (1876) to the east of what was then called Nutwood Cottage (now Nutwood House). At least two buildings, possibly sheds are shown of the northeast side of the garden and a small extension to what may have been stables extends into the garden at its southeast corner. By the 2nd edition (1905) the possible stables had been considerably extended with an additonal large building constructed to its immediate west (see MHG16421). The walled garden is not shown laid out as a formal garden. <1> <2>

A house known as 'Nutwood Cottage' now occupies the western half of the former garden.

GIS spatial data created in 2021 according to location of site as depicted on OS MasterMap. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 4839 5861 (69m by 57m)
Map sheet NH45NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish FODDERTY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.