MHG623 - Chapel & Graveyard, Braeval
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Grave Yard (NAT) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1909)
Immediately to W of Braemore Lodge is an old graveyard, still in use, and within it is site of a chapel. The ruins are said to have been pulled down about middle of the last century.
W Macfarlane 1906-8; D Beaton 1909; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
No trace was found of this chapel in the old graveyard, which is overgrown with grass. In the graveyard is a small unroofed family vault which was rebuilt in 1844.
Visited by OS (W D J) 20 June 1960.
The mausoleum at ND 0674 3045 is on the highest point of the graveyard and bears the inscription '... rebuilt in 1844'. As the RCAHMS (1911) state that the chapel was demolished in the mid-19th century, it seems likely that the mausoleum was 'rebuilt' on the foundations of the chapel. The graveyard is disused.
Visited by OS (N K B) 21 March 1968.
(ND 0674 3043) Chapel (NR) (site of) OS 6" map, (1962)
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 26 August 1982.
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.), 1906-8, Geographical collections relating to Scotland, Vol. 1, 166 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2441.
Beaton, D, 1909, Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes, 65-6 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1965.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 86, No. 311 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 65-6.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 166.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 86, No. 311.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0673 3043 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7581 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.