MHG6236 - Kilchrist Upper Quarry
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STONE QUARRY (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
- MACHINERY PLINTH (Undated)
- None recorded
For associated magazine (at NG 6209 1972), see NG61NW 7.01.
Sited at the SE end of a spoil heap at the old marble quarry, are two machinery stands:
1. 2m square with 11 bolts protruding
2. 6.5m by 5.2m with 4 stanchions protruding.
Visited by J S Wood, 4 April 1990.
This quarry apparently formed part of the Kilchrist industrial complex (NG62SW 55.00) and was connected to the lower quarry (NG62SW 55.01) by
a 'rope-worked incline, of which the bed of the horizontal winding drum can still be seen'. (MS/716/4).
Information from Dr R Miket (Skye and Lochalsh District Council), Sept. 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6185 1978 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/74724 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.