MHG82381 - Building - Red Burn, Edderton
Ruined building beside a scheduled chambered cairn and cist, Red Burn
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
In August 2015, a walkover survey was undertaken in Morangie Forest, Edderton by Anne Coombs on behalf of the Forestry Commission Scotland to identify and demarcate archaeological sites in advance of pre-thinning operations.
On the northeast edge of the cairn (see MHG8647), the remains of a small building, c.3m square, has been built into the cairn stone. This building appears on the 1st Edition 1843-1882 map up to and including the OS Six inch map 1888-1913. <1>
Cairn (NR) Stone Cist containing an urn found AD 1824.
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
Round Cairn (Scheduled Monument): Orkney-Cromarty type still fairly intact and stands about 13ft high. The diameter is now about 70-75ft, but appears to have been some 10ft greater, south side having been curtailed to make a track and E edge obscured by foundations of buildings. Three thin slabs set on edge exposed on the north side appear to be part of the peristalith, while a large boulder lies to the NE.
A S Henshall 1963; V G Childe 1944.
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <3>
- --- SHG175 Text/Publication/Article: Childe, V G. 1944. 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 26-38. 30.
- --- SHG2670 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 20.
- --- SHG357 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 354, ROS 36; plan.
- <1> SHG28797 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Coombs, A.. 2021. Pre-thinning Walkover Survey: Morangie July 2015. Anne Coombs. 29/10/2021. Digital. XY
- <2> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7281 8342 (24m by 13m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.