MHG62391 - Building - Cambuscurrie Wood, Morangie Forest
Ruined building - Cambuscurrie Wood
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
An unroofed building and an unroofed structure are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xli), but they are not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 1 April 1996
In August 2015, a walkover survey was undertaken in Morangie Forest, Edderton by Anne Coombs on behalf of the Forestry Commission Scotland to identify and demarcate archaeological sites in advance of pre-thinning operations.
A small structure abutts the east-west dyke (see MGH62390). This is made up of two low walls extending c.4m north of the dyke but does not appear to have a forth wall. The structure is covered with vegetation and not very visible. It is probably part of the nearby farmstead (see MHG20850) recorded as an unroofed building from the time of the 1st Edition Survey up to and including the OS Six inch 1888-1913 maps. <1>
Note: Site not visible on aerial photographs so approximate NGR and dimensions copied from 1st Edition OS 6". <2> (T. Blackie 12/10/21)
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7333 8358 (5m by 5m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103983 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.