MHG62421 - Farmstead - Achadh Mor (Allt an Achaid Mhoir), Loch Garve
Ruined farmstead at Achadh Mor
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A farmstead comprising two unroofed long buildings, one of which has an attached enclosure, and a length of field wall is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet lxxv) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1989).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 28 February 1996
Between May and August 2012, a survey was undertaken by the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) to identify, survey, and record the archaeological remains at Achadh Mor, Loch Garve.
A township is depicted on the Roy map of c1750 and the ruins of two large buildings with several enclosures are marked on the First Edition OS map of 1870. During the project at least 12 buildings, 4 or 5 enclosures, several platforms and pens and a corn drying kiln were identified. The Lower/SE Farmstead comprises a main building (site 6) a large enclosure enclosed by a headwall (site 45/32B) 6 smaller buildings, a further enclosure, field clearance cairns and a variety of miscellaneous features.
Site 6; Building. This building is aligned WNW-ESE and is on a prominent spur c70m to the NE of building 5; it measures 29m x 5m overall. There are three compartments. The west compartment is 8m x 3m internally. The remains of the stone walls are 0.5 to 1m height and 0.6m thick and there is evidence of a small entrance 0.7m width in the south wall. The central compartment, which measures 11m x 3m internally, is less well preserved and the walls here are generally 0.5m high but 1m in places. There is an entrance in the south wall but its width is unclear. The walls of the east compartment are very wasted – it measures 5m x 3m. Enclosure 7 abuts to the NE. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2018 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2020. Achadh Mor, Loch Garve, and additional sites near Rogie, Ross-shire: The Report of a Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. Site 6. XY
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2018. Getmapping aerial photography 2018.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4210 6015 (28m by 16m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103154 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.