MHG62542 - Building - Keppoch township
Ruined building at Keppoch township
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
An archaeological survey of the township of Keppoch, Dundonnell, Ross-shire was undertaken by NOSAS members in April 2014. See MHG6300 for main township record.
Building 4. This large rectangular building of 3 compartments is on an ENE/WSW alignment and forms part of the south wall of Enclosure 2. The main 2 compartments to the west measure 11m x 3.5m internally, the central one being 4m x 3.5m and the westmost 6m x 3.5m; there is a dividing wall in between. The remains of the stone footings are 1m in thickness and up to 0.7m height although the east gable of the central compartment is 0.9m. Parallel stone edges, 3m in length, in the centre of the west compartment define a drain and there is an entrance, 1m in width, in the SE corner of the south wall. No entrance was seen in the south wall of the central compartment however there was an entrance in the dividing wall. The east most compartment of the building abuts the central compartment and is more wasted; it is 3.5m square and has a mature tree growing within it. To the rear of the building a back ditch some 0.6m deep runs along the whole length of the building. The upper face of this ditch is recessed into the slope and has stone facing in parts. At the SW corner of the building a terrace or platform of large boulders forms an edge. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
Ordnance Survey Mastermap <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2014. Report of an Archaeological Survey of the township of Keppoch, Dundonnell, Ross-shire, April 2014. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. XY
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 0957 8859 (20m by 15m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12090 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.