MHG62556 - Building - Keppoch township
Ruined building at Keppoch township
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
An archaeological survey of the township of Keppoch, Dundonnell, Ross-shire was undertaken by NOSAS members in April 2014. See MHG6300 for main township record.
Building 18. This rectangular building with 2 compartments is aligned roughly E-W. The stone footings are 0.5-0.7m thick and variable in height from 0 to 1.2m but in the S wall of occasional large boulders only (biggest is 2.5m x 1m x 0.5m). The east compartment measures 12m x 5m and has the rough footings of a small pen in its NW corner, The west compartment is 4m x 4.5m and has an entrance 1m in width in its south wall. A terrace, 0.6-1m in width, runs along the whole of the south side of the building; for the most part it is edged by large blocks. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
Ordnance Survey Mastermap <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2014. Report of an Archaeological Survey of the township of Keppoch, Dundonnell, Ross-shire, April 2014. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. XY
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 0947 8864 (18m by 11m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12090 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.