MHG626 - Township, Bogroy
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
'Ishon'. Shown as a group of six buildings with arable (Ishon = Easan - waterfall)
W Roy 1747-55.
Burgroy (In Ruins) (NAT) OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1871)
Bogroy (NAT) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1908)
Borgroy (NR) OS 6" map, (1965)
A minor deserted settlement comprising the footings of two long houses, three buildings, several enclosures and a corn-drying kiln. The settlement lies adjacent to formerly cultivated haughland now permanent pasture. Post-desertion sheepfolds have been erected amidst the ruins. (From local info the name 'Bogroy' (an erroneous corruption of 'Burg Ruadh') is not known to apply to this settlement. It has been suggested that 'Ishon' (phonetic) or some such name is more correct, but no one appears to know the correct spelling).
Visited by OS (N K B) 15 November 1982.
A township comprising four unroofed buildings, one of which is a long building, and two enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xlii). Five unroofed buildings, one enclosure and an unroofed structure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1964).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 23 November 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1137 2703 (210m by 165m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8046 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.