MHG62627 - Building/possible shieling or byre - Allt Airigh Nan Coimh'Each
Possible ruined shieling or byre at Allt Airigh Nan Coimh'Each
Type and Period (2)
- BYRE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SHIELING HUT? (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- None recorded
A programme of survey and recording was carried out July – August 2012 by Meryl Marshall. This site has previously been recorded and described as a shieling site of up to 11 structures. A total of 17 structures were identified on this occasion.
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey were carried out by C Dagg in 2021 for an area of proposed woodland creation north of Loch Droma and the A835, part of Braemore estate in the parish of Gairloch, Ross-shire. This evaluation revisits archaeological features noted during previous work and places them in a more detailed context and offers recommendations for their protection within the planting scheme according to present guidelines on forests and archaeology. <1>
A project to survey and record archaeological features at Allt Airigh nan Coimh’each, Loch Droma was carried out by Meryl Marshall of NOSAS in July 2022.
13; Possible shieling or byre - on the west side of burn there is the very wasted stone remains of a
small rectangular structure overgrown with moss and reeds. It is on a N-S alignment and
measures 4m x 3m overall (2m x 1m internally). The walls have a spread of 1m and are 0.4m height externally but 0.2m internally. There is an opening/?entrance in the E wall. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C.. 2021. Moine Thorranach, Braemore Estate, Lochbroom: Proposed Enclosures and New Planting: Archaeological Evaluation. Catherine Dagg. 07/03/2022. Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2022. Allt Airigh nan Coimh’each, Loch Droma, Ross-shire: Report of a project to survey and record archaeological features – July 2012. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. 03/04/2022. Digital. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2569 7619 (9m by 7m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.