MHG62637 - Shieling hut - Lochdrum
Ruined shieling hut at Lochdrum
Type and Period (1)
- SHIELING HUT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NH27NE 2 252 758.
The remains of some five shieling-huts lie some 250m NW of Lochdrum, at an altitude of 300m OD. The most prominent is sub-oval, measuring c.7m by 3m.
Information from A Kilpatrick, 4 March 1990.
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey were carried out by C Dagg in 2021 for an area of proposed woodland creation north of Loch Droma and the A835, part of Braemore estate in the parish of Gairloch, Ross-shire. This evaluation revisits archaeological features noted during previous work and places them in a more detailed context and offers recommendations for their protection within the planting scheme according to present guidelines on forests and archaeology. <1>
A project to survey and record archaeological features at Allt Airigh nan Coimh’each, Loch Droma was carried out by Meryl Marshall of NOSAS in July 2022.
Lochdrum, Loch Droma. The remains of two shielings, a building and a sheep stell were recorded in an area where there are several fertile grassy knolls amongst what is otherwise poor moorground to the NNW of Lochdrum farmstead.
1; Shieling - the indistinct remains of a structure on a grassy knoll are aligned N-S. The structure has a dished central area measuring roughly 5m x 2m. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2018 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C.. 2021. Moine Thorranach, Braemore Estate, Lochbroom: Proposed Enclosures and New Planting: Archaeological Evaluation. Catherine Dagg. 07/03/2022. Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2022. Allt Airigh nan Coimh’each, Loch Droma, Ross-shire: Report of a project to survey and record archaeological features – July 2012. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. 03/04/2022. Digital. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2018. Getmapping aerial photography 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2533 7588 (8m by 8m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/70741 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.