MHG62640 - Sheep stell - Lochdrum
Ruined sheep stell at Lochdrum
Type and Period (1)
- SHEEP FOLD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey were carried out by C Dagg in 2021 for an area of proposed woodland creation north of Loch Droma and the A835, part of Braemore estate in the parish of Gairloch, Ross-shire. This evaluation revisits archaeological features noted during previous work and places them in a more detailed context and offers recommendations for their protection within the planting scheme according to present guidelines on forests and archaeology. <1>
A project to survey and record archaeological features at Allt Airigh nan Coimh’each, Loch Droma was carried out by Meryl Marshall of NOSAS in July 2022.
Lochdrum, Loch Droma. The remains of two shielings, a building and a sheep stell were recorded in an area where there are several fertile grassy knolls amongst what is otherwise poor moorground to the NNW of Lochdrum farmstead.
4. Sheep stell - within the top NW corner of the fenced enclosure to the north of Lochdrum farmstead, the low stone footings of a circular sheepfold 9m diameter internally are seen enclosing a level grassy platform. Double faced stone walls, 0.4m high and 0.7m thick are evident in the northern part but have probably been robbed in the south part. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2018 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> SHG28891 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C.. 2021. Moine Thorranach, Braemore Estate, Lochbroom: Proposed Enclosures and New Planting: Archaeological Evaluation. Catherine Dagg. 07/03/2022. Digital.
- <2> SHG28922 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2022. Allt Airigh nan Coimh’each, Loch Droma, Ross-shire: Report of a project to survey and record archaeological features – July 2012. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. 03/04/2022. Digital. XY
- <3> SHG28282 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2018. Getmapping aerial photography 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2530 7581 (11m by 11m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/70741 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.