MHG62645 - Shop, 18 High Street - Rosemarkie
Shop, previously post office
Type and Period (1)
- SHOP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Very recently established as a high-class deli, Comfort Foods, with an excellent range of goods. Rosemarkie came close to losing its butchers shop when Kenneth Cumming closed up his butcher shop. Various individuals took over but were unable to make a butcher’s shop profitable until Penelope Keith’s husband expanded it into a deli. Kenneth Cumming was butcher here for many years before that it was Alexander’s. Alexander Alexander had a bakehouse and shop in the High Street in Fortrose but developed the Rosemarkie shop as a General Store selling not only bread but groceries. It was also the Post Office. Valuation Roll 1971/2 records Alexander Alexander in Rosemarkie.
Previous to that it had been Daniel Fraser’s grocery/ironmongery. This was the other half of D. and G. Fraser selling high-class groceries and provisions. Daniel moved onto this site after the war following the death of his brother, George, and took over the Post Office from Mabel Fraser. He was still there in mid 50s. No shop recorded in 1911 Census. <1>
Daniel concentrated on grocery and provisions at 37 High Street until he moved up the street in place of his late brother George at number 18. George had been a baker’s apprentice but having been gassed in the First World War, his health was not good enough to sustain the physical demands of bakery so he ran the ironmongery section in the family shop. After his brother’s early death at the age of 47 in 1938, Daniel managed both parts of the business for a time. He closed his shop at
37 High Street in the mid 1940’s and transferred Mabel’s PO business to complement the range of services provided at 18 High Street. Daniel Fraser was still at number 18 in 1955. The building stood empty for some years in the mid 1960’s. The shop was re-established by Alexander Alexander the Fortrose baker in the early 70s. He kept the Post Office and added fresh bread to the grocery section. Then Kenneth Cumming, Butcher moved in from Doric House next door (Valuation Roll 1985, 1995).
Rosemarkie came close to losing its butchers shop when Kenneth Cumming closed his butcher shop in 2009.
Various individuals took over but were unable to make a butcher’s shop profitable until Richard Comfort expanded it into a first class ‘deli’ specialising in haggis, sausages, pies and ready made meals to unique recipes. It has very recently been taken over by Penelope Keith’s husband and the shop is managed by their son. Crofters Foods with its excellent range of goods is once again providing Rosemarkie with a one-stop fresh food shop selling meat, vegetables, and bakery goods. <3>
Note; currently operating as a kilt shop which replaced use as an antiques shop in 2021. (T.Blackie 11/10/22)
Ordnance Survey Mastermap <2>
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Rendell, D. Rendell, C.. 2005. Fortrose and Rosemarkie Local History Group Archive. Fortrose and Rosemarkie Local History Group. XY
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
- <3> Text/Publication/Monograph: Fortrose and Rosemarkie Local History Group. 2013. A Century of Shopping along Fortrose and Rosemarkie High Streets. Digital. p.57,58.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7365 5759 (9m by 11m) (2 map features)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- Fortrose and Rosemarkie Local History Group | Rosemarkie Shops (spanglefish.com) (Link to online record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.