MHG62696 - Hut circle - Strath Sgitheach
Hut circle SS4 at Strath Sgitheach.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
A number of settlement features are visible across this area on an aerial photograph taken by Jim Bone in 2010. <1>
The Strath Sgitheach area was surveyed by Meryl Marshall in 2020. A group of 12 round houses are northeast of the main track which heads north from the bridge/stepping stones in the upper part of Strath Sgitheach. The round houses are at an altitude of c250m in heathery ground on both sides of a small burn which runs from west to east down a SE facing slope. Six are on the south side of the burn and six on the north. Just four hut circles have been previously recorded at this location although more are seen on snowy aerial photographs taken by Jim Bone in February 2010 (see JSB collection).
Hut Circle (SS4) - on a small heather covered knoll this hut circle is barely discernable. The internal diameter is 7m and the surrounding banks are up to 0.2m with a spread of c1m. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2018 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Oblique: Bone, J. 01/2010. Strath Sgitheach NH 526 634. Colour. . Digital.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Marshall, M.. 2020. Walkover survey at Strath Sgitheach by NOSAS. North of Scotland Archaeology Society (NOSAS). Yes. Digital. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2018. Getmapping aerial photography 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5248 6328 (17m by 17m) (2 map features)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12924 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.