MHG62698 - Hut circle - Strath Sgitheach
Hut circle SS15 at Strath Sgitheach.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
A number of settlement features are visible across this area on an aerial photograph taken by Jim Bone in 2010. <1>
The Strath Sgitheach area was surveyed by Meryl Marshall in 2020. A group of 12 round houses are northeast of the main track which heads north from the bridge/stepping stones in the upper part of Strath Sgitheach. The round houses are at an altitude of c250m in heathery ground on both sides of a small burn which runs from west to east down a SE facing slope. Six are on the south side of the burn and six on the north. Just four hut circles have been previously recorded at this location although more are seen on snowy aerial photographs taken by Jim Bone in February 2010 (see JSB collection).
Hut circle (SS15) – this hut circle is heather covered and barely discernible but shows up nicely on the snowy aerial photographs taken in February 2010. The internal diameter is c11m and the indistinct banks are up to 0.2m high. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Oblique: Bone, J. 01/2010. Strath Sgitheach NH 526 634. Colour. . Digital.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Marshall, M.. 2020. Walkover survey at Strath Sgitheach by NOSAS. North of Scotland Archaeology Society (NOSAS). Yes. Digital. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5229 6348 (18m by 18m) (2 map features)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12924 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.