MHG62700 - Farmstead - Strath Sgitheach
Ruined farmstead/possible inn at Strath Sgitheach.
Type and Period (2)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- INN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A number of settlement features are visible across this area on an aerial photograph taken by Jim Bone in 2010. <1>
The Strath Sgitheach area was surveyed by Meryl Marshall in 2020.
Strath Sgitheach Post Medieval sites.
Farmstead - building/?farmstead/?inn (SS9) – this rectangular building is barely discernible and defined as much by the changes in vegetation as its slopes. It is on an E-W alignment, measures 9mx3m internally and has distinct rounded ends. The surrounding banks are covered in heathery turf and are up to 0.3m height x 1m spread those on the south side more evident. Internal ground cover is coarse grass and moss. There is a possible entrance at the east end. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Oblique: Bone, J. 01/2010. Strath Sgitheach NH 526 634. Colour. . Digital.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Marshall, M.. 2020. Walkover survey at Strath Sgitheach by NOSAS. North of Scotland Archaeology Society (NOSAS). Yes. Digital. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5238 6319 (9m by 5m) (2 map features)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.