MHG62768 - Possible hut circle - 540m east of Achvraid, Essich
A possible small hut circle surviving as an upstanding earthwork.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE? (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a hut-circle is visible on aerial photographs (RCAHMS AP 1994) in a semi-improved field to the S of Essich. Some 10m to the SW a circular stony feature may either be a robbed out cairn or a smaller hut-circle. A few small cairns are visible on the aerial photographs around the hut-circle.
Information from RCAHMS (DCC) 31 January 1997
This hut circle can be seen on oblique aerial photographs taken by Jim Bone in 1997. <1>
This site was visited by a member of HCAU staff in August 2009. The larger feature was confirmed as a probable hut circle (see MHG26104), measuring approximately 10 metres in diameter. A possible entrance was located to the southeast. The western side of the feature is somewhat denuded. The circular stony feature to the south west was not located. <2> <3>
The smaller circular feature noted in the original RCHAMS description is visible at the described location and is also visible in the foreground of one of the photographs in <3>. It is c.6.5m in diameter [IS-L 01/03/2023].
GIS spatial data created in 2023 according to the location of the feature as seen in 2009 vertical Aerial photographs. <4>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Oblique: Bone, J. Aerial photographs of various sites submitted by Jim Bone. Colour. Yes. Digital. 97/4/7 and 97/4/8.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 19/08/2009.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Tilbury, S. 2009-11. Photographs by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. Colour. . Digital. 19/08/2009.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6499 3889 (11m by 11m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/115094 (View HES Canmore record for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.