MHG630 - Symbol Stone, Latheron Mains
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
Renumbered from ND13SE0015B
ND13SE 31 1990 3343.
(ND 1990 3343) A symbol stone (Class I to judge by the photograph) was recognised as forming the lintel of a false window in the S gable of the farmhouse of Latheron Mains, by the occupant, Mrs K Brims, in or before 1956. It bears the crescent and V-rod with 'dome and wing' decoration. (See also ND13SE 26 and 27.)
R B K Stevenson 1961.
The symbol stone is as described and as sited.
Visited by OS (J M) 14 October 1982.
Fragment of symbol stone, 0.45 x 0.23 x 0.23m, built into farmhouse wall, whitewashed.
C E Batey 1982
Class I symbol stone - Latheron 2 - showing a crescent and V-rod.
A.Mack 1997 p.128
Latheron 2, Caithness, Pictish symbol stone fragment
Measurements: L 0.45m, W 0.23m
Stone type: sandstone
Place of discovery: ND 1990 3343
Present location: Latheron Mains Farm
Evidence for discovery: found in or before 1956 re-used as a lintel in a false window in the S gable of the farmhouse.
Present condition: poor, whitewashed.
A fragmentary stone bearing an incised crescent and V-rod with ornament in the crescent.
Date: seventh century
Early Medieval Carved Stones Project, A Ritchie 2016
- --- Image/Photograph(s): P.S.S. Latheron Mains.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): P.S.S. Latheron Mians. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stevenson, R B K. 1961. 'The Inchyra Stone and some other unpublished early Christian monuments', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 92 1958-9, p.33-55. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 33-55. 40; illust..
- --- Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . No. LAT 254.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 8149.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 128.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1989 3343 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8149 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.