MHG6305 - Graveyard, Culinellan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The burial-ground of Culinellan is at the farm of the same name. Just outside it are the remains of a house called "the chapel" which may have occupied the site of an ancient church. (See NH 06 SW 4 -Culinellan Church).
There are only a few shapeless stones in the burial-ground. (See also Burial Ground - NH 06 SW 1).
J H Dixon 1886 <1>
The burial ground now enclosed by a modern fence, is still in use.
The remains of a building, presumably "the chapel", are visible as a pile of rubble to which has been added field clearance. The building is reputed locally to have been a prayer house and may be the site of the church (NH 06 SW 4).
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R L) 25 October 1966
Rural graveyard in use surrounded my modern wire fence. There is no church in use or redundant church. Stonework adjacent to the burial ground may represent the remains of a chapel. The gravestones face east. They are in rows and are all 20th century. The ground is uneven. <2><3>
<1> Dixon, J H, 1886, Gairloch in north west Ross-shire: its records, traditions inhabitants and natural history with a guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree, 101, 324 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2125.
<2> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.
<3> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Dixon, J H. 1886. Gairloch in north west Ross-shire: its records, traditions inhabitants and natural history with a guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree. 101, 324.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 0353 6269 (37m by 39m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12085 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.