MHG6315 - St. Columba's Well, Nonikiln
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOLY WELL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NH67SE 23 6625 7115.
St. Columba's Well (NR) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
'A large spring well situated a hundred yards south of the ruins of St. Ninian's Chapel (MHG6318). There is no tradition extant regarding it, nor is there any other person in the parish who knows it by this name. Mr Wallace (Tain, late of Nonakiln) however is a very good authority, he is about 100 years old and lived nearly all that time at Nonakiln'.
Name Book 1874. <1>
This well, at the base of a stone dyke, is now boxed-in, and still provides an abundant supply of spring-water. No further information. Visited by OS (W D J) 11 May 1963.
Two photographs of the well were submitted by Susan Kruse in March 2012. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6625 7115 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13750 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.