MHG6317 - Cist w Coin hoard, Coilbeag
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH67SE 21 6538 7065.
Stone Cist containing Silver Coins of 14th century found AD. 1852 (NAT)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
In 1852, a stone-cist containing several silver coins of 14th century, was dug up in a field close to the road, at SW extremity of Millcraig farm. The cist and coins are in Ardross Castle (ONB 1874).
In entrance hall of Ardross Castle is a hollow stone with the following inscription:- 'This stone, containing coins was found while trenching at Coilbeag, Millcraig on estate of Ardross autumn of 1852'.
The coins are mostly Spanish (ISSFC 1888).
Name Book 1874; ISSFC 1888.
The find-spot of these coins lies in an arable field and is entirely featureless. Two of coins found, are in possession of Miss J Ross (Millbank, Evanton) whose grandfather farmed Millcraig at the time of discovery. These coins are large silver Austrian coins, one bears date 1620. The stone in which the coins were found was a single stone in which a small cavity had been hollowed out and the cavity was covered by a stone lid. This stone was bought by a dealer from Dingwall at an auction at Ardross Castle in the middle 30's (Info from Miss J Ross).
Nothing is known of the present whereabouts of the stone or of any other coins found in it.
Visited by OS (W D J) 11 May 1963.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 2, 56 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3350.
ISSFC, 1888, 'Excursion to Alness and Strathrory', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 2 1880-3, p.317-23, 320 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG754.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 16, No. 108 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 16, No. 108.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 2, 56.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1888. 'Excursion to Alness and Strathrory', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 2 1880-3, p.317-23. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 317-23. 320.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6538 7064 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- COIN HOARD (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13748 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.