MHG632 - Latheron Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Latheron Castle (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1979)
The fragmentary ruins of Latheron Castle consist of a portion of N angle of a rectangular building with some 15ft of NE wall, about 7ft thick. A large part of this wall was blown down subsequent to the visit by RCAHMS in July 1910. In 1726, this castle was said to be standing though ruinous. Nothing was then known of its history.
RCAHMS 1911; W Macfarlane 1906-8.
Only a portion of rough walling, 8m long, 2.2m thick and 2m high, remains at the site.
Visited by OS (N K B) 13 March 1968.
Latheron Mains farmhouse (ND 1990 3344) is built on the remains of part of Latheron Castle.
C Batey 1982.
No change. Visited by OS (NKB) 7 December 1982.
- --- Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . No. 254.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 163.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 49, No. 186.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1990 3343 (69m by 68m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8131 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.