MHG6322 - Crofthouse, Gleann Meinich
Crofthouse, Gleann Meinich
Type and Period (3)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) CROFT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
'19th century gillie's house ('Calum's Croft') and dyke': no details given.
D W Ross 1991a. <1>
Middle Gleann Meinich Farmstead, enclosure and pen (985 to 986) - NH 2535 5367 Alternative names - Allt a Chair, Callums Croft, (Nmrs No - NH25SE 0009) This site, recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project, sits in the middle part of Gleann Meinich on the north bank of the river. It is situated in a sheltered position on the east side of the fluvial outwash of the Allt a’Chair. Open forest surrounds. The farmstead comprises a building, enclosure and pen. There is evidence of improved ground to the NE.
985 Building - NH 25355 53708 A well constructed roofless building aligned NE- SW. The walls are of mortared and dressed stone, upstanding in the main to a height of 2m, with the gable ends to 2.5m. The walls are generally 0.6m thick and there are 2 compartments. The main compartment to the NE has evidence of a chimney and a press closet in its thicker (0.8m) end wall. There are two window openings with splayed jambs and a possible third. There was no internal partition to the main room but a stone edge may indicate the position of a wooden partition. The byre to the SW had an internal wall which was not bonded to the end wall. Both it and the external wall had been made thicker by the addition of crudely built constructions. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Ross, D W. 1991. 'Survey of Forestry Commission land: Glen Meinich, Strath Conon (Contin parish)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1991, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43. 43.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Four Strathanmore to Loch Beannacharain: May 2008 - June 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p26 Site 985.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2535 5371 (56m by 57m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/80844 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.