MHG6334 - Hut circle - Shieldaig (Shieldaig 2)
A hut circle near Shieldaig.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle near Shieldaig.
Hut circle (Shieldaig 2) NG 8057 7238: A hut circle is situated at an elevation of 30m in the birch and oak wood on the hillside about 200m to the SW of Shieldaig Lodge Hotel. It lies at the northeast side of a stone dyke which runs up the hull. The diameter is 9m x 10m (mid wall) and the walling is of stone deeply covered in moss. Some of the internal facing stones appear to be visible. The entrance cannot be seen and the ambient vegetation is a little bracken and much moss both inside and outside the circle. Not shown on OS maps. <1>
The hut circle was visited by C Dagg during a walkover survey in 2008 prior to a proposed water main renewal scheme. This hut circle is located further NE than no. 4, overlooking the fields and screened by rising ground and woodland from the pipeline route. <2>
180539 872385 Shieldaig 2 (RW2) AMC129: The hut circle was visited by A MacInnes in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross for A Welti. The circular stone structure is in poor condition. It is set in a sheltered spot in sparse woodland, on fairly level ground with a steep slope to N and gentle slope to S. A mature tree sits in the centre of the structure. A field wall runs in a N/S direction, to the West of the structure. The structure is very solid with some large upright stones on both inner and outer edges. Average inner diameter is 8m, outer diameter is 10.7m. Double skinned wall thickness is 1.1m, with maximum height 0.9m. The probable entrance faces East, with internal width 0.9m and external width 1.1m. The entrance passage is 2m in length. Both entrance terminals are slightly extended. The HC is very solid with some large upright stones on both inner and outer edges. This roundhouse may be associated with AMC128 (100m distant downslope - see MHG8385) and AMC134, 200m distant, (see MHG8296). <3> <4>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
Spatial data amended in 2018 to approximate position as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <5>
Renumbered from NG87SW0007B (Jhooper, 29/8/2002)
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wentworth, R. 1989. 'Survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1989, p.33-4. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 33-4. 34.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C.. 2008. Shieldaig Water Main Renewal: Walk-over survey. Catherine Dagg. . Site 5.
- <3> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. AMC129.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. AMC129.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8058 7238 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/76499 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.