MHG6341 - Cist (1976), Balintore
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- BURIAL (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
Renumbered from NH87NE0005C
NH87NE 13 8617 7578.
NH 865 757. Cist, Balintore: This cist was found 1976; it measured 0.92m by 0.45m and contained two inhumations, the primary being an adult and secondary a child. It has been destroyed. (For other burials in this area, see NH87NE 5, 8, 10 and 11.) RCAHMS 1979.
The precise find-spot of the cist was pointed out on the ground at NH 8617 7578 by Mr Campbell, headmaster of Hilton School, who saw the cist in situ. The contents have been removed to Inverness Museum. Visited by OS (N K B) 9 June 1981.
Two DNA samples, one from each burial, were included in the 'A summary round-up list of Scottish archaeological human remains that have been sampled/analysed for DNA as of January 2019', available online through DES. This also includes references for where the DNA results have been pulished. Radiocarbon dates from both samples was also obtained, producing Neolithic dates of 3364-3108-2877 BC for the adult male and 3335-3030 BC for the infant, both calibrated to 2 sigma. <1>
The Acc. Nos. for the two burials in <1> are given as 1985.022 and 1985.021. These should be checked with IMAG as there is some error in the Acc. Nos. given for the Balintore human remains in MHG6340, and it is possible that the nos. for the whole group have been mixed up. GW 09/03/20
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 15, No. 92.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Sheridan. A, et al (25 others). 2018. A summary round-up list of Scottish archaeological human remains that have been sampled/analysed for DNA as of January 2019, Discovery Excav Scot, New Series, Volume 18. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 1-23. Online. pp.7.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8616 7578 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- HUMAN REMAINS (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15247 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.