MHG6344 - Geanies Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
NH87NE 1 8945 7983.
Geanies Castle (Site) (NAT) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed (1907)
No visible remains of castle of Barony of Geanies exist, but a tree still standing is said to have been within its precincts (ONB 1872).
Geanies Castle, when investigated by Davidson, was found to be quite unknown locally and site indicated by OS was under wheat and no trace whatever was distinguishable (Davidson 1948).
Name Book 1872; J M Davidson 1948.
No trace of castle or tree in an arable field.
Visited by OS (I S S) 5 September 1972.
The traditional site of Geanies Castle is recorded about 450m E of Mains of Geanies farmhouse; no visible remains survive.
RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1977.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 30, No. 257.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 30, 81.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Davidson, J M. 1948. 'A miscellany of antiquities in Easter Ross and Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 80 (1945-46), pp 25-33. p 28.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8944 7982 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15243 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.