MHG6345 - St. Mary's Well, Cromarty
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOLY WELL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH86NW 4 8050 6723.
St. Mary's Well, on slope of Sutor, beside middle path which leads to 'The Lookout' (NH 8118 6690) is traditionally said to mark spot where a Trinitarian Friary stood. It is alleged to have been founded in 1271. Easson (1957) has investigated and comes to conclusion that Friary is probably fictitious. Alleged references to friars of Cromarty in Lord Treasurer's Accounts have been found to refer to the ferrymen of Cromarty.
D E Easson 1957; G Mackenzie 1958.
St. Mary's Well is a natural spring which was located at NH 8050 6723. The slope hereabouts is so steep as to render building impractical. There is no local knowledge of a friary in area.
Visited by OS (N K B) 28 January 1966.
No change to previous field report.
Surveyed at 1:10 000. Visited by OS (J B) 16 November 1978.
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Easson, D E. 1957. Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man. 94.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mackenzie, G. 1958. Cromarty official guide. 13.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8050 6722 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG6345 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15238 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.