MHG64 - Township, Clounlaid
Site of medieval township, cleared mid C19
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The township is situated on the NW side of Gleann Geal, immediately below the A 884 road opposite a modern coniferous plantation. It was occupied at least by 1716, when four men over the age of 16 were recorded. Roy’s Map marks a number of houses and the 1833.
Plan of the farm of Claonlead shows five buildings, a small enclosure and partially enclosed arable, as well as a sheep fank some distance to the N. The OS 1st Ed. 6 map also shows five houses but in different locations and another small enclosure and enclosed field. Many of these features can be identified in the field, covering an area, 330m NE-SW by 200m.
Field Verification Project (West Lochaber) - J Robertson, 03/2004
Five unroofed buildings, two enclosures, a field and a head-dyke are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet xli). Three unroofed buildings, one enclosure and two lengths of head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1989).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 May 1998
NM75SE 5 centred on 754 530
Clounlaid: Remains of 5 houses, occupied by 1755, probably cleared c. 1840.
P Gaskell 1968
|Grid reference||Centred NM 7539 5350 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/76335 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.