MHG641 - Chapel, Ham
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
(ND 2365 7393) Chapel (NR) (site of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
This small piece of uncultivated land, 50 links square, is traditionally site of a chapel where traces of a wall foundation and several large old weatherbeaten stones appear above ground surface (ONB 1872). These traces are remains of some structure, said to be a chapel (RCAHMS 1911).
Name Book 1872; RCAHMS 1911.
The remains of this chapel are now completely grass covered and site is only visible as a slight rise in centre of uncultivated area in corner of an arable field. No further info could be obtained locally.
Visited by OS (R D) 26 February 1965.
No dimensions available because of almost total destruction of site. C E Batey 1982.
No change to previous field report. Visited by OS (J M) 22.4.1982.
1st ed OS shows "Chapel (site of)" irregular enclosure/field on coast edge with no indication of building - HAW 10/2002
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 3, 49 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3361.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 27, No. 80 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Batey, C E, 1982, Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2, Dun 008 (Text/Report). SHG1960.
- --- Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . Dun 008.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 27, No. 80.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 3, 49.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2364 7393 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8913 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.