MHG6481 - Glenbrittle House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Late 18th century 2 storey, 3 bay house with centre door; harled. Symmetrical front linked to single storey and attic 3 bay cottage right (north) and single storey farm building to left, forming U-plan court. 12-pane glazing; end stacks; slate roof. To rear; early 19th century, 2 storey, 3 bay block built on to east elevation, doubling size of house. Pink (Soay') ashlar; symmetrical front with centre door and square projecting, piended porch. Large flanking ground floor windows; smaller windows 1st floor; 12-pane glazing; paired ridge stacks; piended slate roof. U-plan steading to south, with high wall enclosing court; coursed rubble; outside stair to loft; slate roof. Former stable wing to north. <1>
See MHG42966 for stable block to N. <2>
The rear part of the building was on the Buildings at Risk Register, maintained by the Scottish Civic Trust, between 1997 and 2010. By 2010, the building had been refurbished and was occupied. <3>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 1794.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Scottish Civic Trust. 2010. Buildings at Risk: Register for Scotland. 2079.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4115 2141 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1794 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11242 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.