MHG6506 - Bronze Axehead - Kilmuir
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Centred 44 67.
Listed under socketed axes:- From the parish of Kilmuir, Skye, a bronze axe 3 1/4" x 2". In the National Museum of Antiquities, Scotland.
Visited by OS (C F W) 9 November 1960.
RCAHMS 1928; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1855.
(Portree type). Single find. Socketed axe, black, trimmed, longotudinal scratch-marks, short haft ribs; length 83mm, mouth 27x31mm, cutting edge 53mm, weight 230 gms. NMAS DE 41.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 150-77. 165.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 69.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . lii.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DE 41.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 184-5, no. 1043.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1855. 'Donations and purchases to and for the Museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 1 1851-4, p.8-15,22-26,42-3,46-7,52-4,57,67-70,72-3,75-6,100-11,125-6, 137-9 etc.. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 8-15,22-26,42-3,46-7,52-4. 180.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4399 6699 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-104-690-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11366 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.