MHG6524 - Eilean Tioram
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- COLLIERY (Undated)
- None recorded
Old Shaft (NAT)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
One of the two coal-mines started by Lord Macdonald c.1800 (For History - see NG44SE 15)
NSA 1845; A Nicolson 1930.
The site of this coal-mine is marked by a small ruined building which is situated just above high water at the foot of the cliffs. The shaft has been filled in. The coal seam is visible at the base of the cliffs immediately to the S.
Visited by OS (A S P) 20 April 1961.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Nicolson, A. 1930. The history of Skye. 397.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness-shire, 221-2.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5188 3651 (81m by 153m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11468 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.