MHG657 - Silver Coin Hoard - St. Mary's Chapel, Ladykirk
Findspot of coin hoard.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
Renumbered from ND37SE0008B
ND37SE 11 3867 7347
ND 386 734. Part of early 14th century hoard of silver pennies was discovered by Brian Allan, London; remainder, making 71 in all, being found in August 1969. The coins are from reigns of five kings, earliest being Henry III (1216-72) and Alexander III, and latest, Robert I (1306-29) and Edward II(1307-27), but vast majority being of Edward I (1272 1307).
R B K Stevenson 1969.
At least 82 silver coins were found between July and September 1969. Six are now in NMAS, seven in Wick Museum, remainder are dispersed.
M J Price 1975; I H Stewart 1973.
The seven coins from hoard in Wick Museum were confirmed. It is believed locally that coins were found at ND 3867 7347 within the buried ruins of St Mary's Chapel (ND37SE 8).
Visited by OS (J B) 14 July 1982.
Treasure Trove records that 30 silver coins of Edward I/II from Ladykirk Chapel (TT 116/16 )were allocated to Dunbeath Heritage Centre. <1>
The coins had not yet arrived to Dunbeath Heritage Museum in 2019. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stewart, I. 1973. 'Some Edwardian hoards from Scotland', Numis Chron 1973, p.134-43. Numis Chron. 134-43. 134-43.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Price, M J. 1975. Coin hoards. No. 370.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stevenson, R B K. 1969. 'John o'Groats, Duncansby Head', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1969, p.17. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 17. 17.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 116/16.
- <2> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Dunbeath Heritage Centre Archives.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3866 7346 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- COIN HOARD (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9377 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.