MHG667 - Forse Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Site photographed by Pat & Lawrence Message, 3/2002. The Highland Archaeology Challenge - see Assoc. Docs. File for plan.
J Aiktne : 22/1/2004
ND23SW 1 2240 3382.
Forse Castle (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
Forse Castle stands on a steep-sided rocky peninsula, protected on N by a natural ditch formerly crossed by a drawbridge. The gateway to the castle is protected by the keep on the W and a gatehouse on the E. The keep measures internally 21 by 11.5ft, with walls 7ft thick, standing up to 30ft in height. The triangular courtyard has ranges of buildings on the E and W sides. The castle probably dates from the 14th or early 15th century.
RCAHMS 1911; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.
Forse Castle, generally as described. Walling which may have encompassed the peninsula is evident on the E side.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R L) 14 March 1968.
The keep is still upstanding but has a large crack down the landward face, and there is also some undermining of the wall.
C E Batey 1982.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG3936.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG4017.
MacGibbon, D and Ross, T, 1887-92, The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, Vol 4, 299; plan (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2442.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 48-9, No. 185 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Miller, D B, 1977, 'Historic castles and families of the north. 6. Forse Castle- The Sutherlands of Forse', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 2 Oct 1977, p.53-7, 53-7 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG901.
Batey, C E, 1982, Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2, No. 248 (Text/Report). SHG1960.
- --- Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . No. 248.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon, D and Ross, T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Hardback. Vol 4, 299; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 48-9, No. 185.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Miller, D B. 1977. 'Historic castles and families of the north. 6. Forse Castle- The Sutherlands of Forse', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 2 Oct 1977, p.53-7. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 53-7. 53-7.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2240 3381 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:621 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM621 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8640 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.