MHG673 - Broch, Achanarras
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Mound (NR) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
Broch (NR) (site of) OS 6" map, (1971)
This is a grassy mound, 25ft diameter, 4ft high, which represents remains of a broch. Visited by OS (N K B) 11 November 1965.
All that can now be seen in the stack yard of Achanarras farm are the W slopes of a mound 1.0m high. The remainder has been either ploughed down or is at present covered by farm buildings so that the diameter of the mound cannot be properly ascertained.
Visited by OS (N K B) 11 November 1965.
Abutting NW side of a farm steading is a level area some 19m across delimited by a well-defines scarp 0.4m high on NW. Within this feature is a semi-circular stony bank slightly set in ground and measuring 9m along the chord by 4.5m transversely by 0.3m maximum height. The latter is probably the grassy mound referred to by RCAHMS; it could indicate line of SW half of a broch court. Visited by OS (J M) 11 February 1982.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 32, No. 99 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1510 5515 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8292 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.