MHG675 - Standing Stone, Oldhall House
Site of standing stone. Opinion is divided on whether this stone is an isolated orthostat or whether it once formed part of a stone circle.
Type and Period (2)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- (Alternate Type) STONE CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Standing stone. Height: 1.4m. Upstanding stone 1m wide, 0.46m thick situated on edge of a large subcircular grass-covered mound 2m high, measuring 45 x 30m, probably representing the site of a stone circle.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
No change. Surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (J M) 3 March 1982
Standing Stone (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
Around base of this standing stone, which is as described by RCAHMS, there are two large stones and several smaller ones, but there is no evidence for there being a stone circle here.
Visited by OS (R D) 20 October 1965
This single standing stone is said to have been part of a stone circle. It stands 4ft 4ins high, 3ft 3ins in breadth and 1ft 5ins in thickness, facing N-S.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910
Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of) OS 6" map, Caithness 2nd ed. 1907
The ONB says 'a few more large stones stood near it, but were removed years ago'.
Name Book 1871
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 133, No. 483.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 12, 36.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2045 5637 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8741 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.