MHG6789 - Standing Stone - Tom Nan Carragh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NJ02SW 5 0109 2464.
(NJ 0109 2464) Standing Stone (NR)
OS 6"map, Morayshire, 2nd ed., (1904)
A standing stone about 8ft high and supposed to be the remains of a Druidical Circle.
Name Book 1871.
A roughly hewn standing stone situated in pasture land. No trace of an associated stone circle or cairn.
Re-surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 7 September 1966.
Oram 1996 calls the site Ballintomb, Dulnain Bridge, and dates the stones to the Bronze Age.
In the later Middle Ages the site was the assembly place of the local courts, and the rallying-place of the Grants of Freuchie (Oram 1996).
Add to Bibliography:
Oram, Richard 1996. Moray and Badenoch. A Historical Guide, pp. 32-3 <1>
The standing stones here were discussed in a paper by Douglas Scott in the Archaeoastronomy journal. Three stones from an alignment of six remain standing. Not all of the stones are intervisible, but combinations of the stones appear to be aligned on significant astronomical events. The full description in the article refers to a plan in which the stones are labelled A to F. The article cannot be made available online for copyright reasons, but is available at Highland Council HQ. The stone described in this particular record would appear to be stone B. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Thom, A. 1967. Megalithic sites in Britain. 119, 137, no. B 7/3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 5, 142.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Boat of Garten. Yes. Digital. Site 27.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Scott, D. 1990. Astronomical Survey of Three Groups of Standing Stones in Strath Spey, Scotland. Journal of the History of Astronomy no. 15. Scanned as PDF.
|Grid reference||Centred NJ 0110 2464 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROMDALE, INVERALLAN AND ADVIE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15721 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.