MHG6815 - Inverallan Church and Graveyard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NJ02NW 4.00 026 260.
(NJ 0266 2602) Inverallan Church (NR) (Site of)
OS 6"map, Morayshire, 2nd ed., (1905)
The buried walls and foundations of church were uncovered and destroyed shortly before December 1888, (A Mitchell 1889) when the graveyard (See MHG42219) was extended. The building had been 80 feet long and 21 feet wide with a cross wall dividing it into two unequal portions. At West end were found a granite boulder with a basin, a font (H Scott 1915-61), standing in 1926 at entrance to graveyard, and a Pictish symbol stone (MHG6814), now built into the west wall of the grave- yard. The church is referred to in 1230 AD (L Shaw 1882) and is believed (H Scott 1915-61) to have been dedicated to St Futach.
A free-standing stone slab with a latin cross on each face (MHG42221), standing in the older part of the graveyard, was named by Mitchell in 1875 as the Inverallan Cross, but in 1888 as the Priest's Stone, while Scott names it as Futach's Stone (Futach, or St Fiacre, being a 7th century Irish saint.)
"St Futach's Well" partly filled with grass-grown mud, stood west of the road along the Spey a short distance from the graveyard (H Scott 1915-61).
L Shaw 1882; A Mitchell and J Drummond 1875; A Mitchell 1889; H Scott 1915-61; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.
No trace remains of the church or well and there is no local knowledge of the dedication.
The granite boulder with incised cup, as described by Mitchell, is a baptismal font. It lies at the entrance to the graveyard at NJ 0274 2604.
The much-weathered Pictish symbol stone (MHG6814), as described and planned by Allan and Anderson (1903), and Mitchell, is built into the NW wall of the graveyard at NJ 0265 2603.
The incised cross-slab at NJ 0267 2601 (MHG42221), generally as described, measures 1.3m high, 0.6m wide and 0.2m thick.
Graveyard still in use.
Symbol stone and incised cross-slab surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 2 September 1966.
No change. The well shown on OS 6"map at NJ 0284 2655 is a natural spring issuing into a wooden rectangular box measuring 0.5m long by 0.4m wide by 0.3m deep. It could not be ascertained if this was St Futach's Well.
Visited by OS (R L) 8 February 1971.
Access audit 138 - HAW 11/2003
Site visited and photographed by John Halliday, 30/09/03. Highland Archaeology Challenge. See assoc. docs. File.
J Aikten : 20/01/04.
GIS polygon amended to shape and location of building shown on OS 1st Edition 1:2500 map. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mitchell, A. 1889. 'Notice of the discovery of an undescribed sculptured stone, with incised symbols, in Strathspey', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 23 1888-9, p.87-8. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 87-8. 87-8.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Inverallan Graveyard.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Cross Slab: Inverallan. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mitchell, A and Drummond, J. 1874. Vacation notes in Cromar, Burghead, and Strathspey. Including notice of one of the supposed burial-places of St Columba. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 10. 603-89. 687-8.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. Part 3, 101.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Jackson, A. 1984. The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 2. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 48.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 107.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacKinlay, J M. 1914. Ancient church dedications in Scotland: non-scriptural dedications. 334.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Morris and Morris, R and F. 1982. Scottish healing wells: healing, holy, wishing and fairy wells of the mainland of Scotland. 149.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 11.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 6, 363; Vol. 8, 618.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Shaw, L. 1882. The history of the province of Moray: comprising the counties of Elgin and Nairn, the greater part of the County of Inverness, and a portion of the County of Banff - all called the Province of Moray before there was a division into counties. Vol. 1, 228.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cowan, I B. 1967. The parishes of medieval Scotland. 87.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Elgin. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NJ 0266 2602 (19m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROMDALE, INVERALLAN AND ADVIE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
- FONT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15702 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.