MHG6878 - Kerb Cairn - Little Urchany
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- KERB CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of) OS 6"map, Nairnshire, 2nd ed., (1906)
This is a ruinous Clava-type cairn. Most of cairn material has been removed, but what remains stretches out as far as monoliths and is turf-covered. The kerb can be traced for three-quarters of its circuit. The stones are mostly small and flush with surface, but those on SW are slightly larger and stand 1ft 9ins high. No structure is visible within kerb. The 3 remaining monoliths range from 4ft to 5ft in height. In 1884 a prone monolith, now broken up, was visible to NNW while, in 1881, there were one or two more monoliths still standing, one on E side being described as 3ft high and 1ft 6ins wide, with eight cup marks on its upper surface and three on its S side (A S Henshall 1963).
A similar site (NH84NE 2) lay only some 16ft to NE, until c1840.
W Jolly 1882; J Fraser 1884; A S Henshall 1963, visited 12 April 1957.
The remains of this Clava-type cairn are generally as described and planned by Henshall, although kerb can now only be clearly traced for a short arc in W. The site has been used as a field-clearance heap. The cup marked monolith could not be located.
Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R D) 16 November 1965.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. 328.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 7, No. 6.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 388, NRN 5; plan, fig. 101.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fraser, J. 1884. 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-62. 351-2; plan.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8665 4856 (19m by 25m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14996 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.